Judging Panel and Competition Criteria
The Judges Panel
Jo Bushnell - Aspex Gallery Director
Aspex supports emerging artist through an inclusive programme of exhibitions and off-site projects located in historic buildings in Gunwharf Quays, Portsmouth.
Cara Courage – Network Manager CVAN SE (Contemporary Visual Art Network, SE)
CVAN represents and supports a diverse and vibrant visual arts ecology, embracing a broad range of artistic and curatorial practice across the south east.
Jake Spicer - Artist & workshop tutor
Jake Spicer is a painter, author and drawing tutor. He has published instructional drawing books ‘DRAW’ AND ‘Life Drawing in 15 Minutes’.
Dominique De-Light Creative Future Director
Dominique De-Light is a published writer and one of the founding Directors of Creative Future.
Maria Kuipers - Artist & previous Tight Modern exhibitor.
Maria Kuipers has been working as a mixed media artist for 27 years. She received several funding awards from South East Arts England and recently won a prize from Georgia Museum of Art, US, for her painting ‘Red Crucifixion’.
Tim Andrews – Artist
Involved in the photographic project ‘OVER THE HILL: A PHOTOGRAPHIC JOURNEY’, June 2016
Plus a previous Tight Modern exhibitor
A quality criteria is used to score all artwork entered for submission
- Repeating shapes, patterns, and symmetry.
- Colours, do they enhance each other or are purposefully destructive.
- Textures - visual and physical (like thick, impasto paint, collages or textured medium).
Technique and Skill
- Is the work consistent? If not does the inconsistency appears intentional?
- Do any odd marks or other destructions appear as part of the art work and are intentional?
- Are the materials/medium used supporting the artistic expression?
Inherent meaning/intrinsic Value
- Is the work a reference to some other art work, possibly providing a fresh perspective or continuing a conversation that another artist began?
- Does the work evokes a specific emotion, or tells a story?
- Does the work deal with more intangible human issues without losing aesthetic and technical values?
Uniqueness / Originality
- Consider all aspects such as composition, material and medium, technique and inherent meaning.
- Does the artwork and its subject is approached from a new or interesting perspective?
- Is the way artist medium and material is used surprising or unusual?